Last updated: 12/6/17 at 1:15 PM (MST)
Our next TRYOUTS for COMPETITIVE BASKETBALL TEAMS for boys in the 5TH - 12TH GRADES will be held in late February, early March of 2018 for the spring season. Why wait? Individual player evaluations are conducted year-round. First step is to REGISTER.
- Players will be put through a variety of ball handling and shooting drills, to gauge a player's level of play, athleticism, work ethic, attitude, and hoops IQ.
- Players will also be pressured with a contact pad and mitt to test their ability to finish under pressure and how they handle physical contact.
- Parents are encouraged to ask questions before or after each evaluation session.
- Evaluations are conducted at any 24 Hour Fitness Sport or Super-Sport location and select recreation centers across the greater metro Denver area. When weather permits, outdoor courts are also used.
- Bring your own ball and bottled water
- Arrive early and greet the Coach beforehand
- Be social and vocal (there is no room for timidity in competitive basketball)
- Listen and move with a sense of urgency (show that you want it)
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and BE COACHABLE (no one likes a stubborn know-it-all)
- Commit to and play DEFENSE (don't be a lazy one-dimensional player)
- Hustle, and have FUN, always!
- Encourage your student-athlete(s) instead of over-criticizing everything they're NOT doing right
- Be positive and support what your student-athlete does well
- If you're an overly fanatic, demeaning, a constant "yeller," and you consistently coach from the bleachers, then we may not be a fit for your family
- We are PROUD of the supportive, hard-working families that make up our Academy, and feel we have the best support base in the entire Denver metro area
- 2017-2018 winter season runs Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 through Saturday, February 10, 2018. We have various competitive boys teams competing at the 6th, 7th and 8th grades.
- 2018 spring season runs mid-March through end of May. Since school will be in session, most of our competitive teams will stay local. Some regional travel to Greeley or Colorado Springs is possible.
- The 2018 summer season runs June through the end of August. Centennials competitive boys basketball teams will compete locally and the top (elite) teams will travel out-of-state in July and August to NCAA-certified tournaments.
- The 2018 fall season runs September through mid-November. Since school will be in session, most of our competitive teams will stay local. Some regional travel to Greeley or Colorado Springs is possible.
- Boys competitive teams being filled: 4th/5th (11U), 6th (12U), 7th (13U), 8th (14U), 15U, 16U, 17U.
- Teams Training Facilities: 24-Hour Fitness, 4100 S Parker Rd, Aurora, CO 80014, and various school/church gyms.
- Practice Days: Twice per week on Tuesday & Thursday evenings
- Game Days: Friday evenings, Saturdays, and/or Sundays.
- 24 Hour Fitness Membership: If the team your player competes with practices at a 24 Hour Fitness club, each player is required to hold a membership, which will be included with that season's Academy dues. Parents or spectators will also need a membership just to watch practices. While the Academy's dues cover a player's membership, family add-on memberships will be offered at a significant corporate discount, but each add-on will be billed directly to each family.
We are a premium SKILLS-FIRST basketball Academy that strives for high-quality and CERTIFIED instructor-led basketball instruction and training at fair costs. Trust us, our research confirms that our costs are up to 60% lesser than most other competitive clubs in Colorado! Academy dues each season for those that make a CENTENNIALS competitive team include the basics required to compete:
- 24-Hour Fitness Membership
- Certified-Instructor Led Training Sessions (practices)
- Practice Jersey (may be required for some teams)
- Nike Game Uniform (required for all teams)
- League and/or Tournaments teams will compete in
If a player attends an open tryout session or is evaluated on a 1-on-1 basis, and does not receive an OFFICIAL INVITATION (via email) to join a Centennials competitive boys basketball team, PLEASE DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. The student-athlete may not be ready for the high level of competition Centennials teams face. The YMCA, Arapahoe Youth League, Gold Crown and other city recreational leagues may be more suitable if playing GAMES for FUN is primarily what you're after.
The Mile High Centennials basketball academy is pretty unique with its basketball training approach, and instead of closing the door of opportunity to players, we offer drop-in basketball skills clinics, basketball camps (during school breaks), private basketball coaching lessons and performance, strength, agility training for basketball year-round for individuals or small groups of up to 4 players. Parents can split costs for private group sessions to save. Remember, skills and fundamentals training is how players make gains. Games merely TEST a player's skill and character.
If a player or his family acknowledges that he is not an advanced basketball player, but would like an evaluation on a 1-on-1 basis, please register anyway. We conduct player evaluations year-round at a court near you. And while we don't offer girls teams (yet), we evaluate girls basketball players, too.