$5 per player per tryout session, payable at the door
Saturday, August 19, 2017
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: 6th grade (12U) to 8th grade (14U) boys
11:15 AM - 12:30 PM: 9th grade (15U) to varsity (17U) boys
@ Englewood Recreation Center, 1155 W Oxford Ave, Englewood, CO 80110
Mondays, August 21 and 28, 2017
7:00 - 7:55 PM: 6th grade (12U) to 8th grade (14U) boys
8:00 - 8:55 PM: 9th grade (15U) to varsity (17U) boys
@ Rising Star Missionary Baptist Church, 1500 S Dayton St, Aurora, CO 80247
MHC is a PROUD PARTNER of
24 Hour Fitness. Centennials competitive teams PRACTICE at the club located off Parker Road/Quincy in Aurora.
- Players will be put through a short, but intense ball handling and shooting warm up.
- Most of the session will be spent on LIVE 1-on-1 to 5-on-5 competition, to gauge a player's level of play, work ethic, attitude, and hoops IQ.
- Tryouts will be filmed. Attending as many tryouts as possible will help Centennials coaches be the most fair with evaluations.
- The coaches may use a Guerilla pad and boxing mit to gauge a player's ability to handle pressure, and to finish moves and shots through physical contact.
- Parents are encouraged to watch and ask questions before or after each tryouts session. Remember parents, YOU are trying out just as much as your student-athlete is.
- Bring your own ball and bottled water
- Arrive early and greet the coaches beforehand
- Be social and vocal (there is no room for timidity in competitive basketball)
- Listen and move with a sense of urgency (show that you want it)
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and BE COACHABLE (no one likes a lazy know-it-all)
- Commit to and play DEFENSE (don't me a one-dimensional player)
- Hustle, and have FUN, always!
- Encourage your student-athlete(s) instead of over-criticizing everything they're NOT doing right
- Be positive and support what your student-athlete does well
- If you're an overly fanatic, demeaning, a constant "yeller," and you coach from the bleachers, then we may not be a fit for your family
- We are PROUD of the good, hard-working families that make up our Academy, and feel we have the best support base in the entire Denver metro area
- Fall season runs Aug 24 - October 22, 2017 for most teams
- A few teams may compete through November 5, 2017
- Boys competitive teams being filled: 6th/12U, 7th/13U, 8th/14U, 9th/15U, JV/16U, and Varsity/17U (based on the 2017-2018 school year)
- Teams Practice Facility: 24-Hour Fitness, 4100 S Parker Rd, Aurora, CO 80014
- Practice Days: Tuesdays and Thurs 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM window
- Each player will be required to hold a 24-Hour Fitness SPORT level club membership, which will be included with the Academy's fall dues. Parents or spectators will also need to hold a membership even just to watch practices. While the Academy's fall dues cover the players, family add-ons will be offered at a significant corporate discount, but each add-on will be billed directly to each family.
- Fall Competition: Teams will compete in a mix of the JAM Fall League (Sunday games will be requested), Just Play Sports' Fall League (for 6th-8t grade teams on Saturday evenings), or a series of local one-day to two-day (Saturday and/or Sunday) tournaments, that may include M.A..YB, Power-2-Play Sports, Rise Up Colorado Athletics and possibly others. Tournament teams may travel to Windsor, Greeley or Colorado Springs, CO. No out-of-state travel is planned (school first).
We are a SKILLS-FIRST basketball Academy that strives for high-quality and CERTIFIED basketball instruction and performance training at fair costs. Trust us, our research confirms that our costs are up to 60% lesser than most other competitive clubs in Colorado! Academy dues each season for those that make a CENTENNIALS competitive team include the basics required to compete:
- Certified Coaching & 24-Hour Fitness Membership
- Practice Jersey (required)
- Nike Game Uniform
- Fall League and/or Tournaments
In addition to 24-Hour Fitness, we use many facilities for our year-round group skills clinics, camps, private coaching, and personal performance training services. Take a look at the Mile High Centennials territory map (below) to gauge where our families typically commute from. While we proudly serve the greater Southeast Denver metropolitan area, families commute from as far as Thornton, central Denver, Parker, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, Lakewood, Bennett and even Colorado Springs.
If you attend an open tryout session, and are not invited onto one of our Centennials' competitive boys basketball teams, PLEASE DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. You or your student-athlete may not be ready for the high level of competition Centennials teams face. City leagues, the YMCA, AYL, Gold Crown and others, may be more suitable if playing GAMES is primarily what you're after.
The Mile High Centennials basketball academy is pretty unique with its basketball training approach, and instead of closing the door of opportunity to players, we will offer drop-in basketball skills clinics, basketball camps, private basketball coaching lessons and performance, strength, agility training for basketball for individuals or small groups of up to 4 players. Parents can split costs for private group sessions to save. Remember, skills and fundamentals training is how players make gains. Games merely TEST a players' skill and character.
If you acknowledge that your son may not be an advanced basketball player, but would like for him to be evaluated on a 1-on-1 basis, please register anyway. We conduct player evaluations year-round at a court near you. We evauate girls, too.